Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Corpus: What's Left Out

I decided to leave some things out of the corpus.  All studying requires choice, exclusion. So I excluded some things.

Paul McCartney
    I have to hear "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" again?  No thanks.  Too precious and lightweight.
Yes 
  I was a fan in those years, listened to them a lot.  Don't want to revisit that.
Emerson, Lake & Palmer 
  I know this direction in music was there then, I just don't want to think about it.
Cream, Eric Clapton, The Allman Brothers 
  Listened to that stuff a lot then.  I can only take so much guitar-wank.  I might decide to add Cream later, though.
Jethro Tull 
  Maybe because I listened to them so much then. Or what they turned into later?  I don't know, I'd just rather not go there. Also may revisit that later.
The Eagles 
  They LA-fied country a bit too much for me.
The Monkees 
  Loved them then.  I don't think it'd hold up musically.

I also left out almost all live albums (I included a few that I consider essential), all greatest hits albums, and almost all of Motown.

Why did you leave out Motown?

A lot of their greatest work was done by 1967.  I'll include the odd great single if it strikes me.

2 comments:

  1. Will you be posting your playlists while listening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can view what I am listening to in real time in my last.fm profile. which is here: http://www.last.fm/user/stormville I will be posting that URL in the sidebar.

      Delete