Sunday, February 26, 2012

The 1967 to 1974 Project

What is this?

Hi, my name is Larry Kooper (aka stormville). This is the blog of The 1967 to 1974 Project. A couple of weeks ago I decided to start listening to music (mostly rock and pop, more about boundaries later) from 1967 to 1974, and write about it.

 Why 1967-1974?

 In 1967, several important things happened in music:

 - Sgt Pepper
 - Rock changed from singles to albums.
 - The singer/songwriter explosion (Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen)
 - The San Francisco Sound explosion (Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead)

I chose 1974 because:

 - It coincided with the end of glam rock
 - The beginnings of disco
 - To exclude punk and new wave; I know those well and don’t need to study them now.

A lot of the reason for the project is to listen to things that are completely new to me, or to listen to things I've already heard but with new ears, and even to revisit things I knew well and see what my attitude is to them now.

No comments:

Post a Comment