Thursday, March 15, 2012

Nancy & Lee, Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood, 1968

I bow before the utter, utter wonderfulness of this album. I had the LP but didn't keep it. It's still just as good. If anything, it's gotten better. When I first heard it I thought it was kitsch. Now I know better, it’s the real deal. Nancy’s voice is so sexy, smart and assertive. Lee's croak is beautiful-ugly. His production presents everything super-clearly with vocals front and center, where they belong. Kurt Wolff on allmusic.com: “He plays the ... deep-throated, trail-worn cowboy to her bright-eyed girl-child.”

“You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin”
There’s a tinkling lounge piano that seems to have wandered in from another song, or from another room.

“Greenwich Village Folk Song Salesman” (Greenwich is pronounced green-witch)
Lee: "a new song about the economic opportunity program"
Nancy: "what’s that?" It’s mocking but it’s also a tribute to protest song.

"Jackson" (I think my favorite version of this song)
Nancy: "go on down to Jackson/ go ahead and wreck your health"
Lee: "hmmm"

“Some Velvet Morning”
I think the Jesus and Mary Chain’s “Deep One Perfect Morning” takes off from this song.

“Sand”
Another brilliant song.

No comments:

Post a Comment